[scribus] Vertical align of text / aligning text with horizontal lines

Timothy J Massey tmassey at obscorp.com
Thu Oct 1 17:08:20 CEST 2009

scribus-bounces at lists.scribus.net wrote on 09/30/2009 06:00:50 PM:

> I may be missing the point but what about using a (right hand) tab and
> fill characters? (On 1.3.5 go text/distances/tabs.) At least then the
> guide lines and text are locked together and everything is subject to
> paragraph styles. Certainly much faster.

That works great:  if every line is the same length, and if you don't have
multiple items per line.

My example was extremely simplified.  In reality, it's more like this
(which is still *greatly* simplified):

Name: __________________________
Date: ________   Time: _________

How do you do that with tabs, at least without trying to manually define
the tabs on each and every line?

The form I'm working with has one item per line, two items per line, three
items per line, and four items per line, not to mention things like
checkboxes.  I am doing a *lot* with tabstops:  I have tabstops set up for
each of the numbers of columns.  But you can't use tabs for the *fill*
characters, which is why I'm focusing on lines.

And if that's all I wanted to do, a word processor would have been the
correct tool...

For the record, Steven Dayton gave me what seems to be the right solution:
 embed the line vectors as a character in the text frame.

Tim Massey