[scribus] exporting to PDF gives bad print result

Christian Andersen chriand at dk.ibm.com
Mon Nov 30 23:10:32 CET 2009

Submitted on 11/30/2009
Submitted by anonymous user: [10.1.6.26]

Submitted values are:

   Your contact information:
     Name: Christian Andersen
     Email Address: chriand at dk.ibm.com
   About your Scribus program:
     Version: 1.3.3.13
     Prebuilt/Compiled: Prebuilt
     Build Date:
   Your operating system and CPU:
     Type: Linux
     Version: ubuntu 8.04
     CPU type: 32bit  Intel/AMD (i386)
   Your request content:
     Subject: exporting to PDF gives bad print result
     Message:
hi.

I have create my own photo calendar using pcal and scribus. I export the
calendar as a PDF file. The result looks very good on screen.

But I visited a commercial printshop today and the print result was a bit
disappointing. All my pictures were a bit dimmed and had lost some of the
color intensity.

At the printshop I also tried to do a print of a single pictures (JPEG). The
same files which I have uploaded into Scribus. Printing the JPEG directly:
Here the result was great.

So somehow the PDF distillation is doing something to my pictures.

When I export the PDF file, the settings are:

Compatibility = PDF 1.4
Compress Text and vector graphics = ON
Image compression method = Automatic
Image compression quality = Maximum
Output intended for = Printer

Do anyone of you have experience with this problem and maybe can tell me, if
I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks in advance
Christian

The results of this submission may be viewed at:
http://www.scribus.net/?q=node/158/submission/330