[scribus] Best Linux distro for Scribus

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer at gmx.de
Mon Nov 30 06:52:13 CET 2009

Am Montag, 30. November 2009 06:18:30 schrieb Steven Dayton:
> I have not worked with KDE in any version before so I have no idea why
> there is some displeasure with KDE 4. Why is KDE 4 not a good thing?
> Is there somewhere else to go online that would discuss this topic
> that anyone could suggest? Curious.
>
> StevenD

KDE 4 is more than just a new version of a desktop environment. Actually it is
a complete rewrite that includes the introduction of many new technologies
and the abandoning of some others. As a result, KDE 4 looks and works quite
differently, compared to KDE 2/3.

The major issue with KDE 4 (which may be compared to Mac OS X, except that it,
being KDE, has more configuration options) is that the KDE team released
version 4.0 and still insisted that it was not ready for everyday use. The
same strange release numbering scheme is followed by the KOffice team. This
has caused a lot of frustration among KDE users, because many early adapters
were more than frustrated.

Oh, and I know we (Scribus) are not in a position to cast stones on anyone, as
our versioning scheme is quite chaotic as well ;)

The upside is that KDE 4.3 finally seems to deliver on the promises being
made. Since I'm a KDE user since version 1 who feels insulted by Gnome's
philosophy, I will install OpenSUSE 11.2 with KDE 4.3 (and KDE 3 as a
fallback option) this week ;)

That being said, everyone should be able to use the operating system and
desktop environment one prefers. What _is_ important, though, when it comes
to Scribus and other apps, is that all relevant libraries (GTK+, Qt, KDE
etc.) are kept in a reliable state. Unfortunately, this rules out some Linux
distros, at least with respect to Scribus.

Christoph