[scribus] Trilingual template - design ideas

Gerard Cunningham gerard at faduda.net
Sat Nov 28 21:51:53 CET 2009

On Sat, 2009-11-28 at 20:30 +0100, Jan Schrewe wrote:
> Am Samstag 28 November 2009 19:28:53 schrieb Gerard Cunningham:
> > >
> > > It sounds like about all you can do is to stick by your guns and argue
> > > as strenuously as you can for different documents for different
> > > languages. A product may have a multilingual audience, but that doesn't
> > > mean each person wants multiple translations or will use more than one.
> >
> > This is a community/cultural project, and can qualify for a particular
> > govt funding package if it gets the other languages in. Hence the need
> > for a single book, not several editions in different languages.
> >
> > Of course, the trouble with that kind of funding model is you end up
> > designing to the specs of the grant-aiding authority, rather than
> > producing something useful. Still, it's not my call. I just build the
> > thing.
> >
> > Anyway, in case my description of my current idea wasn't clear, you can
> > see a sample of what I have in mind at
> > www.faduda.net/turas/template4.pdf
> > [Warning if you're not in broadbalnd land, file is about 2.3Mb]
> >
> > Suggestions, improvements and tips welcome.
> > [and in case it matters, Ubuntu 9.10 with latest stable Scribus]
>
> I gues I would do it somethin like this:
> http://www.schafproductions.com/Dokument-2.pdf (ignore the first page and
> turn on double page viewing)
>
> With the wider main column (as noted in the other Mail the right hand side may
> be better for that) and the smaller and higher translation columns it should
> be possible to have the same text from every language in the page.
>
> I personlaay prefer pictures above the text.

Very nice. Pretty much what I have in  mind, though I'd added the
gimmick of colour coding the text columns depending on language.

Some of the images I need  are 'vertical', like the standing stones in
the sample page. I think they work better as portrait. put them in the
centre of a landscape orientated picture at the top of the page, and the
detail I want to draw out is lost.

ON the other hand, several pages use 'horizontal' images in landscape
format, and have been placed along the top (or bottom) of the page,
which works ideally with your suggestion.