[scribus] Best Linux distro for Scribus

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sat Nov 28 07:37:45 CET 2009

Please, this is a serious question, and I will be annoyed if it turns
into a flame war.

I know there have been discussions in the past of the problems with Qt
in a certain distro. I won't name it, but it starts with U.

I have been happily using that distro for several years, but have
recently decided it's time to expand my horizons.

I dimly recall from discussions here that the three most strongly
recommended distros for Scribus are Fedora, Debian and OpenSuse.

I love Debian package management, so I installed Debian testing.
Unfortunately, there is a bug in Gnome 2.28.x that causes the user to
lose the desktop, window manager and panels. I spent days trying to
find a workaround or repair it, and finally gave up. Then I installed
Debian unstable, only to have it fail to boot. Plus, the only good
thing I could say about testing is that it has great package
management. Otherwise it is not very polished.

Two days ago I installed Fedora 12. Just now I lost the window manager
and panels again. Sure enough, it uses Gnome 2.28.0.

>From past experience it is unrepairable unless I reinstall. And then it
will just happen again.

I have no idea why it happens to me. It must be some application that I
install. But I do know that I absolutely need all the applications I
install. So if a distro can't handle one of them, then it's not the
distro for me.

For the current saga I bought a new hard disk for my laptop. My old
hard disk with the U distro is sitting on the shelf. I can always go
back to it. But I want to move on.

Oh, and I have tried and tried to love KDE, but it is hopeless. I just
can't stand looking at it.

So is OpenSuse my next stop? Or what?