[scribus] PDFs not working with screen reader

TSH tsh.gmane at miserableoldgit.me.uk
Sat Nov 21 22:57:51 CET 2009

Christoph Schäfer wrote:

> Am Donnerstag, 12. November 2009 02:46:42 schrieb TSH:

>> One of our members is visually impaired, and uses a screen reader called
>> Jaws to read text. He reports problems getting this software to read the
>> PDFs I create with Scribus, which he doesn't experience with other PDFs.

> Scribus 1.3.3.x doesn't save text in PDFs in truly readable form. There
> have been major improvements in 1.3.5+, and I suggest you try this
> version.

An interim update:

I've upgraded to 1.3.5, but the problem persists; the screen reader is still
not able to read the PDFs properly. The user made a Brail-to-text output
for me, and it seems that the main problem is that it is ignoring all
spaces between words, so that text comes out as one single long line of
characters. This is near impossible to read in Brail.

The exception is stuff written in bold type, which comes out as one word per
line.

I'm going to try some experiments to see if I can pin down what is going on
here, but if anyone has any further clues, or can offer some advice, I'd
appreciate it.

--
Stewart H

Posting via Gmane