[scribus] Gregorian scores in Scribus

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Sat Nov 21 12:41:10 CET 2009

On Saturday 21 November 2009 03:24:56 Pierre Couderc wrote:
> Well, we are speaking here of Gregorio, not Lilypond.
> Gregorio is extremely simple : you can read the doc of the
language : it
> is a few pages.
> Gregorio is more limited and more simple than Lilypond, but
does well
> what we ask it : Gregorian scores.
> It is extremely efficient : you write scores very quickly.
>
> And yes, it is a language, you must read the doc and
understand it.
> Music people know languages :  a score is a language.
> You must learn the language, you need well a couple of hours
for that...
> So if you have less than a page to write, keep the pencil and
the
> manuscript.
> Else read the doc and use Gregorio.
> And there are no complex brackets : if you are able to read a
normal
> score, you are able to create it with Gregorio.
>
> For the question of GUI, yes, there is a graphic environment :
Scribus.
> With Scribus, Gregorio is in a graphic environment exactly at
the same
> level as LaTeX or Lilypond in Scribus.
> But there no other GUI available, even if some are in project.
>

> Pierre
>
> CLIVE CATTERALL a écrit :
> > Just a quick music typesetting question...
> >
> > Pierre, do you use a GUI front end for Lilypond? Four or five
years ago I
> > sweated entering some motets by Victoria and got so fed up
with the
> > lilypond punctuation, incomprehensible parsing messages,
difficulties
> > lining up syllables/melisma etc. that I went back to pencil
and
> > manuscript paper. I liked the output of Lilypond. Good
typesetting does
> > make sightreading easier, especially for older
singers/players. You can
> > read the note groups by "words" rather than by "letters".
> >
> > But ...
> >
> > I'm not a software engineer - I hate keeping track of nested
blocks,
> > angled brackets etc. - and the lilypond developers are well
known for
> > their dislike of GUIs. I see that good things have been done
more
> > recently with third party software that produces .ly output. Do
you have
> > experience of any front-ends?
> >

> > Clive

I inquired of the Mup list how one would do Gregorian on a four
line staff using that program. The output of Mup is PostScript. A
very minor edit of the PostScript file will render the top line
invisible, e.g.,
It's a one-line change to the PostScript output.  You'll find this line:

1 lines sub  2  lines 1 sub {   % loop from bottom line to top line

in the "/staff" subroutine.  If you change the second "1" to be a
"2", it won't draw the top line.  Of course everything else remains,
such as bar lines being the same length as always, etc.
I should add that square note heads are a standard option in Mup.
Just another alternative.

PostScript is a language. It is easily convertible to pdf or even
eps. But unlike pdf it is easily editable. Look up

 http://www.cappella.demon.co.uk

on the internet and you will find instructions on creating
documents directly in PostScript.
--
John Culleton
"Create Book Covers with Scribus"