[scribus] Gregorian scores in Scribus

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Fri Nov 20 18:38:51 CET 2009

On Friday 20 November 2009 10:48:11 CLIVE CATTERALL wrote:
> Just a quick music typesetting question...
>
> Pierre, do you use a GUI front end for Lilypond? Four or five
years ago I
> sweated entering some motets by Victoria and got so fed up
with the
> lilypond punctuation, incomprehensible parsing messages,
difficulties
> lining up syllables/melisma etc. that I went back to pencil and
manuscript
> paper. I liked the output of Lilypond. Good typesetting does
make
> sightreading easier, especially for older singers/players. You can
read the
> note groups by "words" rather than by "letters".
>
> But ...
>
> I'm not a software engineer - I hate keeping track of nested
blocks, angled
> brackets etc. - and the lilypond developers are well known for
their
> dislike of GUIs. I see that good things have been done more
recently with
> third party software that produces .ly output. Do you have
experience of
> any front-ends?
>

> Clive

Perhaps not your cup of tea, but I like the shareware program
Mup. Yes you have to code the notes but if you can use your text
editor effectively you can create a score with surprising speed.

Mup will also produce midi form the same file, transpose etc.
--
John Culleton
"Create Book Covers with Scribus"