[scribus] Windows 7

Richard eyelagui at adinet.com.uy
Fri Nov 13 00:07:32 CET 2009

John Culleton escribió:
> I have a Win XP install disk and key. For my purposes I see no
> reason to upgrade to Win 7.  Can anyone suggest one?

The correct and flawless usage or more than 2.5GB of RAM without driver
issues and also the correct and stable usage of 64bits software,
compared to XP 32 and 64bits.

If you have a 64bits CPU and more than 2.5GB of RAM, you surely will
have a better and more efficient usage of your computer hardware with
Seven than XP.

Yesterday i have installed Seven 32bits for a customer who had XP and
got a very destructive virus, today he called me to acknowledge wich was
one of my suggestions to go Seven, "the system performance".
His computer is a 64bits 2600 Athlon and 1Gb of DDR400 RAM using a
Parallel ATA hard disk. (not SATA). He didn't want to go 64, and his
memory ammount does not justify it.

On my desktop and laptop, both 64bits, i could find a better startup
time on Seven than XP.
I mean, you can have a Windows that takes about 2 to 3 minutes to start,
and another that takes about 1 min / less than 1:30sec.
There you have one of them who uses about 200MB of ram on plain desktop,
and the other that takes about 600 to 800MB, on plain and clean desktop
using transparency and efects all over. (some gadgets also)

Off course, the one that takes 200MB loads in 2 to 3 minutes, and the
one that uses more than 600MB loading in less than 1:30 minutes.

Just calculate MB/s on loading and take your conclussions.
Even on XP32 to Seven32 there is a small performance improvement.

I can tell, there was no problem at all, and add that my laptop
manufacturer provides no XP drivers, so i had to make a lot of magic to
get everthing working with some issues...
That didn't happened on Seven.
About software, there was nothing incompatible, plus the chance to use
some 64bit apps.... 7Zip compress and decompress a bit faster on 64bits
than 32. Put that 5%(or more) on a 1GB+ folder ....

And i have some known people who found some older programs that stopped
working when 98 to XP moving, and now started to work again on Seven,
but i didnt tried that.