[scribus] Check the size of a text box on Scribus

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 12 01:53:45 CET 2009

On 11/11/2009 01:58 PM, Maumau wrote:
> Scribus shows me how many characters there. I need to know how many
> characters fit in the text box.

I have done something like this for a script. What it amounted to was an
approximation, based on some kind of average letter size. What I was
doing was creating a single-line text frame, with the length calculated
on the basis of the number of characters, so I created a formula for
this based on experimentation.

Probably better than using standard lorem ipsum would be to use a sample
text from your language.
Let's imagine you have a 150 pt by 300 pt frame. Choose a suitable font
at the size you wish, with the linespacing you wish, enter some various
passages of sample text, then take the average character count for
several trials. You might try varying the font, varying the size,
linespacing, other features, to see how these impact the character count.

You could also get more sophisticated, by not just counting letters but
noting which particular letters are contained in the text and adjusting
according to character widths.

In the end, it depends on your purpose and what your demands are. Is it
to squeeze the maximum number of characters in a frame? Is it to adjust
the size of an automatically created frame? Is it to decide the
placement of different sized blocks of text in a columns format? Or
something else? These will determine how much time you wish to spend on
these kinds of diversions.

Greg