[scribus] Solved: Problem with Scribus on Ubuntu 9.10

avox avox at arcor.de
Tue Nov 10 16:00:38 CET 2009

John Culleton-3 wrote:

> On Tuesday 10 November 2009 02:53:42 Rolf-Werner Eilert wrote:
>> D. R. Evans schrieb:

>> > FYI, at a minimum, one also needs:
>> >
>> > apt-get install libcairo2-dev.
>> >
>> >   Doc
>>
>> Cairo under Linux? I thought that was OS-X-specific?
>>
>> Rolf

> OS X is based on BSD (Berkeley Source Distribution) which began
> as a licensed variant of Unix.
> Scribus is a Unix clone. So they are

^^^^^ I think Scribus isn't quite as powerful. Surely you meant Emacs is a
Unix clone? ;-)

at least siblings under the skin, and many packages, libraries etc.
> will run on either.  Apple has done its best to hide the Unixy parts
> of OS X but they are there if you dig deep enough.  I have Cairo on
> my Slackware Linux system because it is required by among
> other packages Scribus.

Cairo was originally aimed at X11 (and was named Xr):

http://cworth.org/~cworth/papers/xr_ols2003/

So, not OS X specific at all. In fact the OS X backend isn't as polished as
the other ones (at least in the past, don't know about the current status).

Scribus can use either cairo or Qt4 for converting vectors into raster
graphics. Earlier versions of Scribus used libart.

/Andreas