[scribus] Scribus, GNOME, KDE

Paraplegic Racehorse paraplegic.racehorse at gmail.com
Sun Nov 8 01:18:42 CET 2009

On Sat, Oct 17, 2009 at 12:27, Bruce Griffis <bruce.griffis at gmail.com> wrote:
> I haven't messed around with Gnome very much. I'm a KDE fan. I don't
> if one is better than the other, I just prefer KDE - although when I
> messed with Fedora and Ubuntu, I liked Gnome. But I generally go KDE.
> Right now for playing I use a Lenovo S10 Netbook with Kubuntu
> installed. Works fine. I popped on an external monitor, keyboard and
> mouse so I can actually see things (the screen size is pretty small on
> a Netbook, and my son broke the netbook screen twice by dropping the
> darn thing!). Whether you chose Gnome or KDE, Ubuntu or openSuse (or
> Mandriva or Fedora or ...) - you can do just fine.  Just don't let
> your kids toss it. That kind of hurts 'em a little bit.

I used to be a KDE fan, until I realized that almost all (Scribus
being the sole exception) of what I personally consider "best of
breed" apps are gtk+ based. At the time I switched to GNOME, I was
operating under limited memory and couldn't justify having both qt and
gtk+ libraries loaded and actively used so I switched. Now my machine
has plenty RAM and I still use GNOME for the same reasons. Besides,
KDE is no longer familiar to me.

In the end, use what works for you. GNOME works for me. Okay, I
actually prefer GNUstep Workspace, but just try and find native
apps...

--
Faster than a speeding slug!
I'm Paraplegic Racehorse.