[scribus] Scribus, Lulu, base-14 fonts, postscript printing

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Sat Nov 7 22:33:39 CET 2009

On Saturday 07 November 2009 15:16:07 William Hammack
wrote:
> I'm using Scribus to make a book cover for a book on Lulu. Lulu
is very
> picky. I've run into the problem that the PDFs made by Scribus
(PDF 1.3
> and X/3 using Scribus 1.3.3.11 Build ID: C-C-T-F-A on Ubuntu
Hardy).
> Lulu objects that Helvetica is not embedded. I've tried
embedding it,
> but to no avail. Lulu LOVES Adobe Distiller - in fact requires it, I
> think for electronic distribution - so I thought I just pump out a
ps
> and then get a windows machine to distill it. HERE'S THE
PROBLEM:
> Scribus ignores the odd size of the cover (landscape, 12.7
inches x
> 9.25 inches) and prints it portrait on 8 1/2 x 11, truncating the
> image. (Did this both via export as eps and also printing to ps
file.)
> I cannot find any controls to set page size for eps or ps printing;
> googling "hints" this is some kind of CUPS problem. Any advice
then on
> these two items:
>
> a) Getting Scribus to embedded proper "base-14 fonts) (see
> http://desktoppub.about.com/od/glossary/g/base14fonts.htm for
info on
> base-14)

There are Helvetica near-clones that you can use. I try to stay
away from the actual PS Base14 fonts because of problems like
you are having.  for Helvetica try Gill Sans or Verdana instead.

I never print directly from Scribus. Instead I pump out a pdf of the
right size and print through Acrobat Reader.

--
John Culleton
"Create Book Covers with Scribus"