[scribus] Font::TTFMetrics error - font metrics

Owen rcook at pcug.org.au
Fri Nov 6 22:57:15 CET 2009

On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 23:59:39 -0500
andrew james <andrew at systemssingular.com> wrote:

> Malay,

What makes you think Malay is here?

> Though you had not responded, I continued to try solutions to the
> problem.  The one variant was the font.  The file georgia.ttf returns
> values, though I have not decoded font-units for my use, no errors.
> georgia.ttf is attached.

Please read
http://search.cpan.org/~malay/Font-TTFMetrics-0.1/lib/Font/TTFMetrics.pm
(eg
User of this module should keep in mind that all the values returned
from this modules are in font-units and should be converted to pixel
unit by:

  fIUnits * pointsize * resolution /(72 * units_per_em)
)

> As your program is dated 2003, I think you may have concern to know
> that some fonts err.  I attached the file DejaVuSerif.ttf that errs
> as described pre.

Mmmmm, my program is dated October 2009. What version of Scribus are
you using? What system are you running it on.

> Attached is the example-character-width.pl perl program that works to
> calculate the width of character 'a' font georgia.ttf

Don't attach to messages being sent to a list. As you can see, they
have been removed

> > I want to use the module perl Font::TTFMetrics that you wrote.

Did you send this message to the Scribus list?? Sorry, but Malay I
don't think is subscribed. See
http://search.cpan.org/~malay/Font-TTFMetrics-0.1/lib/Font/TTFMetrics.pm
for his contact details

> > I wanted to calculate some character widths, but when I copied your
> > examples, at the constructor the program failed.  Even code this
> > short errs ...

You might be better off asking this sort of question on a perl mailing
list. Did you look at line 634 to see what it was trying to do?

---

> > #!/usr/bin/perl
> > use strict;
> > use warnings;
> > use Font::TTFMetrics;
> >
> > my $metrics = Font::TTFMetrics->new("DejaVuSerif.ttf");
> >
> > ----
> >
> > The error is,    negative length at .../TTFMetrics.pm line 634

> A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
> Name: DejaVuSerif.ttf
> Type: application/octet-stream
> Size: 328908 bytes
> Desc: not available

Please don't send attachments to a list. Notice how your ttf file came
out as attachment.obj

Owen