[scribus] Solved: Problem with Scribus on Ubuntu 9.10

Thomas Zastrow listen at thomas-zastrow.de
Thu Nov 5 21:19:38 CET 2009

Hello,

the problems reported by D.R. Evans with Scribus on Ubuntu 9.10 were
definitly caused by the Scribus-NG package which is from January.

I compiled Scribus 1.5.0svn under Ubuntu and everything went fine - the
document showed up without any problems and also the PDF export works fine.

I'm not sure who is responsible for the Scribus packages in Ubuntu, but
perhaps someone could provide an updated package for Scribus-ng??

If not or if you can't wait, here is a short tutorial how to compile
Scribus 1.5.0svn under Ubuntu 9.10 (don't forget: its a developer
version). Perhaps we should put it into the wiki??

--------------------------------

Short tutorial for compiling Scribus 1.5.0 SVN under Ubuntu 9.10

There are several possibilities how to compile and install Scribus on
Ubuntu 9.10. The way which is described here, leaves an eventually
already installed version of Scribus in its place and installs the new
version into another directory (here: /opt/scribus).

Let's go ;-)

At first, install the compiler stuff:

sudo apt-get install build-essential

Now, some more packages are necessary:

apt-get install subversion
apt-get install qt4-qmake
apt-get install libqt4-core
apt-get install libqt4-dev
apt-get install libtiff4-dev
apt-get install python-dev
apt-get install libcups2-dev

It seems so, that there is also a version of cmake in the repositories.
But apt-get was not able to install it, I just got some unmeaningful
errors. So, I downloaded it (http://www.cmake.org/) and installed it on
my own (configure / make / make install). If the command "apt-get
install cmake" works for you, this is not necessary!

Next, create a directory for Scribus' source code and go to it:
mkdir ~/scribus_src
cd ~/scribus_src

Create a directory where you want to install Scribus (I used /opt/scribus):
sudo mkdir /opt/scribus

Next, download the Scribus SVN sourcecode:

svn co svn://scribus.info/Scribus/trunk/Scribus

Change to the new directory Scribus:
cd Scribus

Run cmake with the PATH where you want to install Scribus (here:
/opt/scribus):
cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:PATH=/opt/scribus

Compile Scribus:
make

... and, last not least, install it as root user:
sudo "make install"

You should now be able to start your new Scribus with the command:

/opt/scribus/bin/scribus