[scribus] PDFs created with OO

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sat May 30 22:58:07 CEST 2009

On Sat, 30 May 2009 22:06:51 +0200
JLuc <jluc at no-log.org> dijo:

> John Meyer a écrit :
> > Frank Cox wrote:

> >> Scribus is really not intended to be used to open pdf's in the usual
> >> manner,
> >> i.e. open and read or open and edit.  You can create a new Scribus
> >> document and
> >> place the pdf on the page as a graphic -- that works, but in many
> >> cases that's
> >> not what your actual purpose is.

> > Then I would have to question the option of being able to open up a pdf
> > on the initial start up of the program as opposed to just being able to
> > place it.

> and edit it afterward ?
> that would 'just' be a vvvvvvvvery big change !

First, John Meyer may have better luck using Inkscape as an
intermediary. Inkscape can open a PDF (although only one page at a
time), and the result will be editable in Inkscape. If you save as an
SVG (Inkscape's native vector format), Scribus will be able to place
the SVG as an editable vector graphic.

A better option would be to print to file from OOo. Scribus can import
the resulting PS file directly as an editable vector graphic. Again,
however, only one graphic (page) at a time.

I did not realize the start up screen in Scribus allows opening a PDF.
Scribus can only place PDFs, not open them directly as editable files.
Even then, it places them as raster images. The startup screen may be
misleading.