[scribus] PDFs created with OO

Frank Cox melville.theatre at gmail.com
Sat May 30 20:53:27 CEST 2009

On Sat, 30 May 2009 12:37:53 -0600
John Meyer wrote:

> Are there currently any known bugs regarding PDFs created with
> OpenOffice and Scribus because I am having a time opening them up in
> scribus.

Scribus is really not intended to be used to open pdf's in the usual manner,
i.e. open and read or open and edit.  You can create a new Scribus document and
place the pdf on the page as a graphic -- that works, but in many cases that's
not what your actual purpose is.

Many people seem to think Scribus is a pdf editor that they can use to open and
change a pre-existing pdf file.  It's not really intended for that purpose.

I'm not sure that this is relevant to your situation, but I regularly use
cups-pdf to create pdf files from any program that has a print function,
including Scribus and OpenOffice.  All pdf files are not created equal and,
depending on your purpose, creating a pdf file using a different program may
give you a more useful result.