[scribus] Difficulty with Lines

alessandro rimoldi ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Thu May 28 21:27:52 CEST 2009

hi jessica,

> So, one thing I need to do a lot (really really a lot)  is generate
> simple vertical and horizontal lines to demarcate columns.  I have
> found this to be weirdly difficult with Scribus.  With other graphics
> and D.P. applications I've been able to press the Shift key while
> drawing a line to constrain the line to be either horizontal or
> vertical.

the modifier for scribus (tested in 1.3.5, but it should work also in 1.3.3.x) is ctrl instead of shift...

> I don't know why the guide doesn't fully constrain the points at the
> ends of the line...I seem to need to pull the line past the guide in
> one direction, at both ends, several times, to really get the line
> totally vertical or horizontal.

i can confirm: even in 1.3.5 (or 1.5... i have to get used to the new name :-) line handles don't snap to guides
can you post a bug to bugs.scribus.net

> Second Issue: Can't Lengthen Lines
> I simply cannot lengthen/shorten a line without changing the angle or
> changing the location of the line.

you can use the width in the X,Y,Z tab of the properties palette. i wonder if there should be a key to constraint the current angle...
it may also be worth a bug report...

> Once I have a vertical or horizontal line I want to be able to mouse
> over until it is the 2-way arrow, signifying the line will be
> lengthened/shortened rather than either:
>  * moved (4-way angle)
>  * or changed in length and angle (angled arrow.)
>
> It is extremely difficult to get the 2-way arrow to appear at all,
> but if I view the document at 400% I can usually get it.  However,
> the action is always as for the 4-way arrow. Even when the icon is
> the 2-way arrow, the line just moves, it doesn't stay in place and
> lengthen/shorten with the mouse action.

i couldn't get that behavior at all: i guess 1.3.5 has a new way of handling it.
i wonder if it is necessary, or if going through the properties palette is a better way of doing.

> Any help/advice much appreciated...I have to generate horizontal and
> vertical lines many many times for each edition I produce.

as said: ctrl is your friend! :-)

have fun
a.l.e