[scribus] Font / Style Signifiers in Story editor

Jessica Evans jessica at lunula.com
Thu May 28 19:30:07 CEST 2009

Scribus 1.3.3.12 on Windows XP Home Edition 5.1.2600

Hi all,

I suppose this is just feedback/venting of a sort, though there is some
inconsistent behavior by Scribus that may be fairly described as a bug.

Like many others I am eagerly awaiting the ability to set character
styles.  I also am hoping against hope that the powers that be will
someday come to see that it really does matter to the end user that we
have no visual marker in the story editor to signify that formatting has
been changed for an individual character.

For example, if I have 20 band names in a text box (embedded within a
column of body text) and I need to change each band name to bold and
decrease by 1 point size. I would really like some kind of visual
reference in the story editor so that I can see which ones I did and
didn't get.  The disorientation of working in a field without any
feedback whatsoever is uncomfortable.

I have been clicking inside the words and looking up at the font display
field, but found it to be unreliable...sometimes the correct (changed)
font is displayed, sometimes it still displays the paragraph style font,
even after the character font has been changed.

Finally, the Story Editor often fails to display the paragraph style
name at the left for the first one or two paragraphs in the text box. It
isn't really that important...but again, it is disorienting.  Not having
that visual feedback makes one wonder if something is wrong, and if one
really did set the paragraph style properly.

Best wishes, Jessica