[scribus] Possible to install 1.3.3.12 after installing 1.3.5svn?

Wayne shakacat at ukulele.com
Fri May 22 02:38:34 CEST 2009

mrdocs wrote:
> On Tuesday 19 May 2009 11:59:04 pm John Culleton wrote:
>> On Tuesday 19 May 2009 18:35:13 Wayne wrote:
>>> I recently installed Mandriva Spring 2009 and found
>>> that the only version available in the repository was
>>> 1.3.5svn. So, I installed that thinking that if I don't
>>> like it, I can always find 1.3.3.12 somewhere and
>>> install that. Well, since 1.3.3.12 is the stable
>>> version, and I'm using Scribus for business, I decided
>>> to uninstall 1.3.5svn. I found 1.3.3.12 in the Mandriva
>>> 2008 repository and tried to install it. However, one
>>> of its dependencies is libpython2.5 and when I install
>>> that, Scribus 1.3.3.12 no longer shows any text in any
>>> of the menu bars.
>>>
>>> When I try to remove libpython2.6 (there when I
>>> installed 1.3.5svn), it threatens to remove a a long
>>> list of other (KDE4 and others, many of which I use and
>>> need) programs along with it.
>>>
>>> My question is: Can I install 1.3.3.12 AFTER  having
>>> installed 1.3.5svn? If so, how?
>>> Do I have to uninstall libpython2.6 first?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Wayne

> Easier solution:
>
> from a command line:
>
> #rpm -e scribus
>
> then look here:
> http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/mrdocs/Mandriva_2009/
>
> for 1.3.3.13.
>
> then download and install with rpm -ivh scribus*
>
> There is currently some issue with 1.3.3.13 not building on Mdv 2009 on i586.
> 64bit package compiled fine. I have triggered a rebuild and you might see a
> new package in the next few hours.
>
> Peter

Tried that. It asked for libpython2.5. I have
libpython2.6 installed currently; don't want to remove
it because too many other apps depend on it. So, I
installed libpython2.5. After that, scribus 1.3.3.13
installed fine, except that I'm stuck with the same old
problem again: no icons in the menus and an error
message, "Setting up the Python plugin failed."

Unable to load icon
/usr/share/scribus/icons/distribute_vdist.png: File not
found
Unable to load icon
/usr/share/scribus/icons/distribute_vdist_val.png: File
not found
Unable to load icon
/usr/share/scribus/icons/u_undo.png: File not found
Unable to load icon
/usr/share/scribus/icons/u_redo.png: File not found
Could not find platform independent libraries <prefix>
Could not find platform dependent libraries <exec_prefix>
Consider setting $PYTHONHOME to <prefix>[:<exec_prefix>]
Failed to set default encoding to utf-8.

Unable to load icon
/usr/share/scribus/icons/AppIcon.png: File not found
Unable to load icon
/usr/share/scribus/icons/fileopen.png: File not found
Unable to load icon
/usr/share/scribus/icons/DateiSave16.png: File not found
Unable to load icon /usr/share/scribus/icons/exit.png:
File not found
Unable to load icon /usr/share/scribus/icons/ok.png:
File not found
Failed to import warnings module. Something is probably
broken with your Python.
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<string>", line 2, in <module>
ImportError: No module named warnings

--------------------------
I think perhaps that the two versions of libpython are
in conflict with each other.
If I un-install libpython2.5 and reinstall
scribus1.3.5svn (or 1.3.5) then all will be well again.
However, it's not the stable version and I'm using
scribus it for business. Is the 1.3.5 version adequate
for business use? If not, why not? What specifically
would be the problem?

Thanks,
Wayne