[scribus] A personal milestone

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sat May 9 03:49:08 CEST 2009

This afternoon I finished my first book on linguistics. Except for
proofreading, it is ready for press. It will be printed by Linguistics
Publishing, Inc. (which I own) to be ready for fall university
bookstore orders.

The writing and a lot of the layout was done in OpenOffice.org 3.0.x.
Final layout was done in Scribus 1.3.5svn, with major assistance from
Inkscape. The operating system was Ubuntu Intrepid and Jaunty, x86_64.

Not one penny of cash money was paid for any of the software used in
the project. Rather, payment was made by participating in e-lists,
wikis, bug reporting, and other resources to assist others in using the
software.

I am especially indebted to the members of this list and the Scribus
community who listened to me with patience and offered advice and
assistance as I learned Scribus and completed the project.

I should also add that 1.3.5 (April 19) still has a few annoying bugs,
but I was able to complete a 200 page book with it without major
problems. It is going to be an awesome release.