[scribus] Reducing the size of PDFs

Murray Strome wmstrome at yahoo.com
Sun May 3 23:01:31 CEST 2009

On Saturday, May 2, 2009 6:09 PM, "Owen" <rcook at pcug.org.au> wrote:

                The method of reducing the size of Scribus generated PDFs is generally
described as; (See http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Web_optimised_PDF)

    [scribus]

    file.pdf

    [pdftops]

     file.ps

   [ps2pdf14]

    final.pdf

This process has been written as a Scribus script
http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Reduce_the_size_of_Scribus_generated_PDFs

Some Notes:

Only works with Linux.
Works with 1.3.3, but not 1.3.5 for reasons I am not sure of yet
Not all pdfs are reduced
The script provides a backup copy of the original
Even small PDFs can take "a long time" to convert.

Please feel free to enhance

You can copy and paste the wiki script or download it from;
http://members.pcug.org.au/~rcook/scribus/reducepdf.py.gz

Owen

---------------------------
I have been using:

compress-newsletter.pl

which can be found at:

http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Web_optimised_PDF

I have only used it in LINUX, but I imagine that it would probably work
on any system with Perl installed.  For most PDF documents I have created
with Scribus, the compression factor is usually greater than 10:1 with
no degradation in quality that I can detect.

You simply run:

compress-newsletter.pl <PDF file name>

It will create some intermediate files, and a new file called

new.<PDF file name>

It works well for any PDF file I have tried (including those NOT created
with Scribus), although those from other sources do not exhibit such a
dramatic reduction in size.

Murray