[scribus] Dumb newbie question

Owen rcook at pcug.org.au
Mon Mar 30 12:22:51 CEST 2009

> On Sun, 29 Mar 2009 19:16:09 -0400
> Gregory Pittman <gpittman at iglou.com> dijo:
>
>> Plan B might be to try 1.3.5svn, where you can use a TeX frame and
>> make
>> your formula there directly in Scribus.
>
> I am trying this out, but find the instructions hopelessly inadequate
> and confusing.

><snip>

> What I need to create is what is called in OOo a stack. Consider that
> the brackets in the following are all one big tall bracket
> encompassing
> all the items in the stack:
>
> [ sometext           ]
> [ some more text ]
> [ yet more text     ]
>
> Sometimes my stacks have only one item, sometimes as many as seven. I
> need the brackets to scale.
>
> If there is someone here familiar with math syntax in Latex, could you
> give me the syntax to create the above? Once I have the correct syntax
> for one formula I'm sure I can change it for additional formulas.
>
> I also need to figure out how to assign fonts, but one step at a time.

If you have latex installed, (there is a fair bit of it!) put the
following in a text editor and save it as say test.tex  (Thats  T E X
not txt)

--------------------------------------
\documentclass{article}

\begin{document}

\[
\left[
\begin {array}{c}
\textit{one little line\hspace{20 pt}    }\\
\noalign{\medskip}
\textit{two a very big line}\\
\noalign{\medskip}
\textit{three\hspace{60 pt}}

\end {array}
\right]
\]

\end{document}
---------------------------------------

Then say # latex test.tex
then do  # xdvi test.dvi
and then # dvips test.dvi

then try importing the test.ps into your Scribus

If you have 1.3.5, after hitting the TeX icon, edit source and drop in
everything after \begin{document} and \end{document}

I am no expert on Latex, and there is a newsgroup that is pretty
active in helping, see comp.text.tex  As I think the above code is
crap, you might want to ask them to codify it correctly

--

Owen