[scribus] pdfshuffler

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sat Mar 28 17:14:53 CET 2009

On Sat, 28 Mar 2009 09:52:19 -0400
Kevin Cole <dc.loco at gmail.com> dijo:

> On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 04:03, Frank Cox <melville.theatre at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Someone just drew this to my attention:
> >
> > http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfshuffler/
> >
> > I haven't tried it myself yet.  I actually use pdftk for that sort of thing,
> > but the screenshot makes it look very interesting.
> >
> > If you're using Fedora 10, it's available in the "updates" repository; just "yum
> > install pdfshuffler" to get it.
>
> FYI: Given that the screen shots are all of Full Circle magazine -- a
> magazine focusing on Ubuntu -- one assumes it's an easy get for the
> Ubuntu crowd as well.  And as it turns out, it's distributed on
> SourceForge as a .deb. :-)

I downloaded the tarball and followed the instructions in the enclosed
README file to install it on my Ubuntu Intrepid x86_64 computer. That
is,

	In order to install run:
	sudo python setup.py install

The installation seemed to go OK, but it did not install a launch menu
item. It did create an executable file called fileshuffler, so I tried
launching it from the command line. But that didn't work:

jjj at Devil7:~/Software/pdfshuffler-0.3.1$ pdfshuffler
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/pdfshuffler", line 65, in <module>
    from pyPdf import PdfFileWriter, PdfFileReader
ImportError: No module named pyPdf

So then I went back to Sourceforge and grabbed the .deb file. That
installed fine with gDebi. (I was worried because my Ubuntu is 64-bit.)

The installation created a menu item to launch it, and it launched
fine. The display is a little austere and there is no Help file, but I
guessed that I was supposed to "Import" a PDF file to work on it. Sure
enough, it opened a PDF file chosen at random. And I was able to
selected individual pages and drag them around.

This could be a really handy tool. Thanks for telling me about it.