[scribus] OT: Interesting Camera/Mega-Pixel Article

John Beardmore John at T4sLtd.co.uk
Wed Mar 11 11:52:26 CET 2009

Asif Lodhi wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> IIRC, there was long thread on Camera/Mega-pixel on this list.

:)    Missed it !

> Knowing
> the interest of those users (and probably others), I would like to
> share this article link:
>
> http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2009/03/why-weve-reached-the-end-of-the-camera-megapixel-race.ars

What I am starting to find doing energy audits etc is that the better
resolution images capture things that the human eye might have missed at
the time. That has commercial value, and in itself is an interesting
development.

Going from 1 megapixel Kodak, to 3 megapixel Sony, to 5 megapixel
finepix, to 10 megapixel finepix has always brought about improvement.

Of course optics and light sensitivity are important too. They
complement the light sensor. The cameras we've had have always had
optical zoom, 10X in the latest models which is great. A camera is a
complex system, and in any given application will always have its
performance limited by all components in the system. Cameras can't go on
getting better without improving all the elements in the system,
INCLUDING the number of pixels.

The article says

     "Why we've reached the end of the camera megapixel race"

and

     "camera manufacturers have been pumping up the megapixels on
     each successive camera model, regardless of whether such
     increases offered any real benefits (hint: they usually did
     not)".

Seems to me that to reach this conclusion, they must have been choosing
their cameras very badly if they weren't buying ones with good optics,
light sensitivity etc...

Personally, if I could get twice as many pixels at a sensible price, I'd
go for it, as long as the optics etc were up to the job. We haven't
reached the end of any race, but the race isn't megapixels, it's the
quality of whole package, and that depends on amongst other things
megapixels.

Cheers, J/.
Energy Audit, Carbon Management, Design Advice, Sustainable Energy
Consultancy and Installation, Carbon Trust Standard Registered Assessor