[scribus] Building booklets

Jan de Weerd jdweerd at ziggo.nl
Sat Jun 27 19:51:47 CEST 2009

John Culleton wrote:

>> OK, Adobe reader can do that, but it adds margins around the
>> pages. When I have a centerpage (centerfold) with a photo that
>> covers two pages, an irritating blank vertical splits the photo.
>> When I sent the file to a professional printer the photo on the
>> two pages is printed perfectly (no sign of a vertical gap).
>> According to the printer he uses some kind of plug-in for adobe
>> reader.
>> Does anyone know how to fix this at home?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Jan
>
> I think I have previously described the booklet making process
> before using the PSUtils suite, starting with a postscript file and
> and ending up with two postscript files, one for the front sides of
> each sheet of paper and one for the back.  I impose 8.5 x 11 sheets
> on 11 x 17 paper. Here is my routine:
> psbook $1.ps $1b.ps
> echo 'psnup'
> psnup -2 -ptabloid -Pletter $1b.ps $1p.ps
> echo 'psselect'
> psselect -o   $1p.ps $1o.ps
> psselect -e -r  $1p.ps $1e.ps
> #lpr $1o.ps
> #echo 'switch paper'
> #read x
> #lpr $1e.ps
> #rm $1p.ps $1e.ps $1o.ps $1b.ps
>
> For a windows bat file you have to replace each $1 with the actual
> prefix of your original file (file name without the .ps at the
> end).

Thank you John,

I tried psutils a couple of years ago but could not get it right, but
your script works!

It works when I look at the file on the screen. When I send it to the
printer (HP4500) the printer is processing for a long time and finally
the display says ready but no paper output. Probably this is due to the
ps version?

Another problem is the output of scribus. When I export to eps, the
output is very dark, I also have this when I save to pdf with option
printer. I noticed this for the first time when I updated from scribus
1.3.3.9 to a newer version. It happens when I insert photos in tif
format or pdf files in an image frame. When I convert the pdf to jpg and
use photos in jpg format, this does not happen.
Is this a calibration issue?