[scribus] Running Scribus 1.3.3.13 on Windows XP

Henry Hartley henryhartley at westat.com
Tue Jun 23 21:11:11 CEST 2009

Lori Jiacinto wrote:
> Here's what I see and do,step-by-step: When I start Scribus, I see
> the Scribus banner and wait while it loads fonts and such; next I
> see the Scribus window with its menus across the top and a "New
> Document" popup window.  I choose "Single Page", "Letter" size
> paper, default unit "Inches", and select "OK".  The popup
> disappears, and now I have a Scribus window with menus/toolbars
> across the top and bottom, rulers measuring -1 to 15 across the top
> and 0 to 10 down the left side, and a large grey area in the
> center. I would expect to see a white "paper" planted in the large
> grey area, where its left and right edges are under the top ruler's
> 0 and 8.5, and the top and bottom edges are at the left ruler's 0
> and 11(similar to the screenshot in the quickstart guide), but it
> is not there.  I choose View > 50%, which makes the rulers smaller,
> but still no paper visible in the large grey area.

I don't know for sure but I strongly suspect that this is where the problem is. You never seem to get a document on which to work and that's causing all the other problems, which I've clipped out of my reply. If this first part was working, the rest would most likely work, as well. Just to be sure, you downloaded this file:

        scribus-1.3.3.13-win32-install.exe

from sorceforge and ran that to install Scribus, right? That file should be 21,646,127 bytes in size and should have an SHA signature like this (well, this is what mine gave me):

        adacc1262f094229cc9c1a0c8f07b58a63a7100b

During the installation, you kept all defaults, installing to this directory:

        C:\Program Files\Scribus 1.3.3.13

When you have Scribus running, if you select Help | About Scribus, it reports:

        Scribus Version 1.3.3.13
        Build ID: C-*-T-*-C-Windows
        Using Ghostscript version 8.64

I've just downloaded and resinstalled that version and have no problem opening a new file. If you click on the "new file" icon in the tool bar, do you get the same results? That is, it doesn't complain but no document shows up in the main body of the Scribus window? Is there anything at the bottom of that window that shows page numbers, etc. (e.g. "1 of 1")?

--
Henry