[scribus] PDF/X-1a:2001 again

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Fri Jun 12 19:13:37 CEST 2009

On Friday 12 June 2009 09:58:32 am Louis Desjardins wrote:
> 2009/6/6 Christoph Schäfer <christoph-schaefer at gmx.de>
>
> > Am Samstag, 6. Juni 2009 20:35:36 schrieb John Culleton:
> > > I find this statement on the Scribus site:
> > > PDF marked as any of the following: PDF/X-1:2001, X-1a:2001
> > > and 2003; X-2:2003; X-3:2002 and 2003 are all different
> > > flavors of PDF-X, which is a way of creating a PDF with
> > > certain criteria for pre-press. Scribus supports the latest
> > > PDF-X-2:2003. Support for other versions of PDF/X is planned.
> > > 1.  For what release can we expect "Support for other
> > > versions is planned"
> >
> > It's a Summer of Code project, so I guess when GSoC is
> > finished.
> >
> > > 2. Will one of those versions be PDF/X-1a:2001 ?
>
> For this to be really useful though we would need a *transparency
> flattener* so we could in fact produce PDF/X-xxx for just any job
> created with Scribus. Other than that, it’s a half-way solution
> and won’t be that useful.
>
> Louis

Very true. Both layers and transparencies need to be flattened.
Today I output files in e.g., PDF 1.4, view the file in Acrobat
Reader, print the file to a file (yielding a flattened ps file) and
then run ps2pdf13 to put it back into pdf format.  I then have
a "safe" file but it still doesn't have the magic PDF/X-1A:2001
tag.  There is only one printer I know who insists on that format
but that printer is the big Kahuna for POD books in the USA.

--
John Culleton
Create Book Covers with Scribus/e-book $5.95