[scribus] Speed and CPU

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Fri Jun 12 03:25:00 CEST 2009

On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 01:06:48 +0200
Craig Bradney <mrb at scribus.info> dijo:

> > The more I poke around the more I think the problem is that the CPU
> > speed is being throttled back by something in Linux.

> Your CPU speed governor is probably set to ondemand which many distros
> set by default. By the time it kicks up the processor speed (which
> doesn't take long), your initial task in Scribus may be completed having
> run at 800+Mhz instead of 2Ghz. The bump time can make it sluggish
> enough to affect your feeling of a GUI intensive app. I would suggest
> setting your governor to performance if you are working on a large doc
> or working for a long time. Your distro should provide an easy way to
> change it or you can set it manually:
> cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_governors
> will tell you what governors are built int your kernel
> echo ondemand > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
> will set ondemand.
> Note those both touch cpu0.. you may need to do each one separately.

Thanks for the suggestions. Here is what I got:

jjj at Devil7:~$
cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_governors
conservative ondemand userspace powersave performance jjj at Devil7:~$
echo ondemand > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
bash: /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor: Permission
denied
jjj at Devil7:~$ sudo echo ondemand
> /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor bash: /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor: Permission denied

WTH is that? Root doesn't have permission?

The results of the first command are very interesting, though. Your
suggestion may have led me to the source of the problem. Now if I can
just figure out the proper command to stop it from being so
conservative. :)