[scribus] Announce: Scribus 1.3.5.RC2

Owen rcook at pcug.org.au
Sat Jun 6 23:57:48 CEST 2009

> On Thursday 04 June 2009 14:58:48 Craig Bradney wrote:
>> > This sounds like a koan to me :
>> > Could you explain what "based on" means in this sentence ?
>> >
>> > Will 140 be a 135 with just a different name ?
>> >
>> > Will 140 be a 135 with more features and more work on it ?
>> > This seems... obvious, so if so, why mention it ?
>> >
>> > It is a very side question, but since this point arises
>> > regularly, (somehow 140 will be THE real stable, not 135)
>> > i'd be glad to have a clear understanding of this.
>> > JLuc
>>
>> Honestly, I don't get what you don't get (that hasn't been said
>> before)
>>
>> 1.3.5 is NOT stable.. it will be a development release...
>> 1.4.0 will be considered stable.. and "based on" means it will
>> include more fixes and potentially some enhancements... These
>> things get mentioned for all of those new people on the list, and
>> those that don't read it often, and for those that ask the same
>> questions over and over again :)
>> 1.3.3.x will then die a peaceful death.
>>
>> Craig
>
> I have a little script that contains the statement:
>
> svn co  svn://scribus.info/Scribus/branches/Version135
>
> Will this retrieve rc2 or some earlier version?

I think that:

It will retrieve the version that is current as of the last hour.

For example, if a bug was fixed at 7 minutes past the hour, and you
did a check out at 10 minutes past the same hour, that bug correction
would not be included in your download. You will have to wait for the
next hour to roll over before you get it.

If you keep track of the version numbers between updates you will get
an idea of the number of changes that have been made.

If you watch the changes as you do the update, you will get an idea of
whether or not to rebuild, for example, if the only change was to the
Mongolian translations, then you probably wouldn't be interested in
rebuilding.

but I might be wrong
--

Owen