[scribus] Colour Profiles - make colour matching worse!

Peter Nermander peter at nermander.se
Tue Jul 28 13:03:34 CEST 2009

> As long as there's only one internal format that profiles have to be
> written for.

Profiles are only written for one PCS. Conversion between different
PCS's is already known.

> It's an interesting thought that one day people might start to make
> devices that use CIELab directly. Of course not all the spaces in CIELab

It wouldn't work. A printer profile depends on the paper and ink used,
not just the printer. So, in essence, a printer profiles says "how
much of each ink must be deposited in a single pixel, on this paper,
to acheive this color from CIELAB". You can not get away from that
question no matter how you standardise the storage colorspace.

> But why have CIELab and CIEXYZ as possible PCSs ?

Why have both mm and inches?

Sure, in the best of worlds we could agree to use ONE standard. But in
reality, people will always have different reasons to use other
standards.

> Yes, though manipulating images in higher colorimetric resolution might
> not be a bad thing,

That's why there is for example AdobeRGB.

>  From a user point of view if all devices used a single colour space out
> of the box I don't see why CMS would be necessary ?

See above. The CMS would in that case be inside the device, but it
would still need profiles.

/Peter