[scribus] Font in PDF does not match screen

jwminer at accessvt.com jwminer at accessvt.com
Sat Jul 18 23:02:33 CEST 2009

Doc wrote:
> It has nothing to do with bias. It has to do with you ignoring the
> word
> "unwary". You aren't an unwary user. Neither (now) am I.

Anyone who is using software as complex as Scribus to do as
skill-intensive a job as designing publications must get "wary"
pretty fast. Contrary to widespread belief, you can't do a good job
of laying out pages by simply picking up a piece of software and
plowing ahead. The software is just a tool to be used by the
designer. If the designer has no clue about how to lay out pages,
the software can't make up for that.

I've been distressed that in the recent discussions on this list
when one user or another asking how to get started, the focus seemed
entirely on using the software. Some mention of the need to learn
*something* about principles of design and how to set proper type
should have been in there. Sure, when your back is against the wall
of a deadline for your first effort, you may need to fudge it. But
if it's a continuing job, face the fact that you need to put
considerable time and effort into learning how to use type and how
to design attractive and effective pages.

Software is part of the learning curve, too, of course. That
includes getting acquainted with PDF requirements. LOOK AROUND! Go
through every menu, every dialog box, every option.

It's called "paying your dues."
--Judy Miner
  USA

Registered Linux User #397786
Being productive with VectorLinux 6.0 Standard, Deluxe Edition