[scribus] Finding Stuff in the Wiki and Manual

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Fri Jul 17 04:10:51 CEST 2009

On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 16:23:49 -0600
"D. R. Evans" <doc.evans at gmail.com> dijo:

> I'm sure this is answered somewhere in the manual, but I can't find it
> (actually, that's my biggest complaint about the manual... I just cannot
> find stuff in it; maybe I'm just too used to the TeXbook's index).

I don't have the manual, but I have spent hours trying to find stuff in
the Wiki and other documentation, frequently without luck. I have a
theory that might explain my lack of skill at finding things.

I have never used TeX, but I have used a number of other layout apps -
PageMaker, QuarkXpress, Ventura, InDesign - and I think my problem is
terminology. For example, I search for how to do a tab and can't find
it. How was I to know that Scribus calls it a tabulator? I could go on
and on, but I think y'all see my point. Even people new to the whole
idea of DTP don't know the Scribus terms for things. Yet the
documentation typically contains only the Scribus term. 

I am wondering if we could somehow create a table of terminology for
the various apps with the Scribus equivalents. If Scribus and all the
other common apps call it the same thing (eg., "paragraph style"), this
would not need to be included. But if any of the other apps uses a
different term, this should be listed. 

This could become a mini-project within the documentation side of
Scribus. Ultimately the results could be incorporated into the Wiki and
the index for the manual.

Discussion and suggestions welcome, as usual.

More information about the scribus mailing list