[scribus] Text overflow in Text Frames

Marco Boeringa marco at boeringa.demon.nl
Mon Jul 13 09:46:34 CEST 2009

Hi all,

Does anyone know why Scribus needs the Text Frame to be far bigger than
the Minimum Bounding Box (MBB) around the text it contains?

I noticed for example that if I have a text of 20pt height and 50pt
wide, the Text Frame needs to be maybe 35pt high and 80pt wide in order
for Scribus to display the text therein. If I make it smaller, Scribus
generates a Text Overflow error and no longer displays the text.

Why is this? I would expect Scribus to honour the MBB as the minimum
allowable size of the Text Frame, before generating a Text Overflow. The
need to make a text frame far bigger than the actual text, poses all
kinds of issues with overlapping frames and alignment...

Is there some (margin) setting for Text Frames in Scribus that I need to
change? I have been trying to figure this out, but I have no clue as to
what might influence this behaviour.

Thanks for any insights and suggestions.

Marco