[scribus] Scribus book cover template.

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Mon Jan 26 03:04:32 CET 2009

On Saturday 24 January 2009 10:44:44 pm Owen wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 17:19:54 -0500
>
> John Culleton <john at wexfordpress.com> wrote:
> > I am in the process of writing an e-book "Creating Book Covers
> > with Scribus" aimed at the novice user.  Early in the e-book I
> > refer the reader to an online facility I created that does the
> > heavy lifting insofar as calculating the overall layout and the
> > necessary/optional vertical guides. The web page should be self
> > explanatory, but you be the judge:
> > http://wexfordpress.net/template.html
> >
> > The e-book itself is still being written so of course you won't
> > find it online yet.
>
> Cool!
>
> Maybe a python script for inclusion into Scribus?
>
> Is the mathematics available for this?
>

> Owen

Sure. The math is simple. The script I wrote was in Perl. I don't
really know Perl but at least I have two books on it :<) I did the
calculations in inches, then converted the output quantities to
points, and then truncated the inch results to 3 decimal places and
the point results to 0 decimal places.

I know three languages well, English, COBOL and profane.  My website
host doesn't support COBOL. Another possibility for me would have
been Tcl but the interface between Tcl and html forms output is not
as well defined in the books I have.   Perl is well supported by the
host. I have no idea if the host supports Python but I have never
written a line in Python.

The formulas are pretty simple. Vertically the cover height is the
page height plus two bleed areas, effectively page height + .25 in.
Horizontally the cover width is two page widths plus .25 in plus
spine width.

Spine is page count divided by PPI plus a slight allowance for the
cover thickness itself.  PPI is generally provided by the printer.
CreateSpace provides a factor instead, which is half the thickness of
one sheet of paper of a given kind. You multiply that times the
number of pages.

I calculated vertical guides on either side of the spine, and also a
guide in the middle of each of three rectangles (back, spine, front)
to help with centering. The ones for the spine are essential; the
others are conveniences I find helpful.  The output html shows and
identifies these guides, listed from left to right on the cover.

I don't want to clutter up the list with a source listing but if you
look at this file you will see what I did:
http://wexfordpress.net/cgi-bin/temp_form.plx

And so to bed. Thanks for your interest and your comments.  More
later.

--
John Culleton