[scribus] Scribus extract data from pdf form

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Thu Feb 26 14:39:50 CET 2009

Peter Nermander wrote:
>> afaik, forms created with scribus should work in acrobat! (but you won't
>> be able to save the content in the fields, just print them out!)
>>

> I think it should be noted that this is, as far as I know, a limit of
> Adobe Reader, not a limit of Scribus.
>
> Adobe Reader is not designed to allow saving of filled in forms.
>

> One way to get around this is to install a "PDF printer" and print the
> filled in form to a new PDF.

While we can thank Adobe for having an open proprietary format for PDFs,
one area where they are closed is with saving of data from a PDF form
from Adobe Reader. There is a key embedded in the file by Acrobat to
allow this. Since we don't know how this key is generated, we cannot
make forms that allow the data to be saved from Adobe Reader.

So for now, the options are to fill out the form, submit, and print the
result, or if you are on the web, sending to an email address or site as
FDF data.

Greg