[scribus] Re : making 11 by 17 page layout

David Zaslavsky dzaslavs at ellipsix.net
Tue Feb 24 03:01:12 CET 2009

Hi Alison,

The Linux commands to do this (well, at least one way, maybe not the
only one) are called "psbook" and "psnup". I've never completely
figured out how to use them but I just did some experiments and it
seems like something like this should work:
 psbook inputfile.ps | psnup -Pletter -w11in -h17in -2 > outputfile.ps
where inputfile.ps and outputfile.ps are, respectively, the input and
output filenames.  (Of course, inputfile.ps should exist;
outputfile.ps should not, else it will be overwritten)

As the .ps extension suggests, the inputfile.ps should be in
Postscript format - I forget if Scribus generates Postscript but if
not, you can convert a PDF with
 pdf2ps inputfile.pdf outputfile.ps
and once you've done the imposition you can convert back with
 ps2pdf inputfile.ps outputfile.pdf
In fact you can chain them all together with
 pdf2ps fromscribus.pdf - | psbook |
    psnup -Pletter -w11in -h17in -2 | ps2pdf - toprinter.pdf
(put that all on one line, I only line-broke it to fit in the email)
Unfortunately it looks like some quality is lost in the PDF-Postscript
conversion :-( but I don't know any other way to do it on Linux.
Sometimes you can print to Postscript directly, e.g. on KDE with
kprinter.

If you don't have these programs, psbook and psnup, I *think*
they're in package psutils which you can install via aptitude.

:) David