[scribus] the continuing saga of transferring from 8 1/2 by, 11 to 17 by 11

Phil Mendelsohn phil at rephil.org
Mon Feb 23 15:27:11 CET 2009

> Message: 2
> Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 17:56:51 -0500
> From: Alison Saylor <alison.saylor at gmail.com>
> Subject: [scribus] the continuing saga of transferring from 8 1/2 by
> 	11 to	17 by 11
> To: Scribus User Mailing List <scribus at lists.scribus.net>
>
> Hey All!  Thank you so much for all the responses to my last inquiry.
> Helped me realise that I'll need a new printer for the next round.
> Meanwhile, for this one, trying to take my pages from the 8 1/2 by 11
> to the 11 by 17.  Moving the text boxes one at a time was going to be
> too time consuming and they changed dimensions when I copied them onto
> the new document.  I can't see futsing with each one again, esp. since
> I have a repetitive motion injury at this point from all the work.
> Tried doing 'control A' and moved all the pages at once.  Of course
> then they didn't line up with the new pages and the text boxes changed
> shape.  Even some of the text formatting changed.  ARGH!!!  Any ideas?
>  Also, is there a way to get the page margin markers to show up in the
> middle of the 17 by 11 page?  Thank you!

Alison,

I caught only a bit of your thread as it went by, and presumed that you
were getting it all straightened out.  I think you're making things way
too hard.

I print a 20 page newsletter every month, laid out as 8.5" x 11", on
tabloid 17" x 11" paper, so it can be folded and saddle stitched as a
booklet.

All you need to do is generate a .pdf file and Adobe 8.0 or later will
automatically handle this for you or your printer.  In the Print dialog,
set the 'Page Scaling' to "Booklet", then set the paper size to "Tabloid".

All you need then is a printer that can deal with 11" x 17" paper.  I
used to use a commercial printer, but now use a Laser Jet 4MV (only run
about 100 copies.)  The only thing I needed to do was buy a long throat
stapler.

I used to do layout, then copy and paste to make a tabloid version, but
once I found this out, I saved myself hours of work each issue.  (Though
it's still nice to know how to do a booklet imposition manually - I can
figure out page no's & order really fast for any size booklet, now that
I never need to figure that out!)

I hope this helps.

Phil Mendelsohn
LANTERN Editor,
Winnipeg Model RR Club

--
"Nothing is too small to know, and nothing too big to attempt."
--Sir William Cornelius Van Horne