[scribus] Gimp is missing

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Sat Dec 19 13:23:54 CET 2009

On Friday 18 December 2009 17:42:02 Donna Wiggins wrote:

> I know all of you are busy and are probably tired of people like me that
> don't really know more about the Scribus program other than how to enter
> text into the text boxes.  So if any of you can help me figure out what I
> need to do to get them to play nice with each other, would you please list
> the process in very simple, step by step terms (it can't be too dummied
> down for me).  Please don't say - Associate x with z - cause then I'll be
> wondering how associations are done.
>
> So, please help me if you can - if not - have a good holiday season - Donna

I assume you are using MSWindows, correct?

Cannot diagnose your problem from afar. But I have a short term solution. You
can download or else buy  Knoppix 6.2 on a self-loading DVD.  The DVD can be
bought for $5.95 here:
http://www.osdisc.com/cgi-bin/view.cgi/products/linux/knoppix?affiliate=knpxnet
plus shipping. (about $14.00)

But downloading/burning it is much faster and of course cheaper. But not
everyone knows how to do that.

The intrerface resembles Windows. You pop the dvd into the CD drive and
reboot. When the system comes up (about 2 minutes or less) go to the "K" in
the lower left corner  and click on it once. Select graphics  (or maybe office,
I forget) ftom the popup menu and then Scribus. It will give you Scribus
1.3.3.12, You can access the hard drive  (marked hda1 or sda1)  from the File
menu and find your file. A typical address might begin with
/media/sda1/Documents etc.  Just remember that slashes are forward / and not
backward \ when you use a file address. And most functions are single click.

This method should sidestep whatever local problem you have. And you have a
whole new OS to play with, including Gimp, Scribus, Inkscape and so on.

For a longer term solution you may have to reinstall Gimp and then Scribus on
your hard drive. But you can use the Knoppix disk until you get it straight.

The Knoppix disk is also an excellent "rescue" OS for windows systems. You can
access and save individual files to a flash drive. Since Knoppix ignores the
registry a corrupt registry doesn't prevent you from proceeding. Viruses etc.
are simply ignored.

Don't ever feel embarrassed about asking questions here. The only dumb
question is the one you didn't ask. I ask questions all the time and I have
been involved with using computers since 1968.
--
John Culleton
"Create Book Covers with Scribus"