[scribus] Gimp is missing

Robert Martinez mail at mray.de
Sat Dec 19 00:14:08 CET 2009

Donna Wiggins wrote:
> Submitted on 12/18/2009
> Submitted by anonymous user: [10.1.6.26]
>
> Submitted values are:
>
>    Your contact information:
>      Name: Donna Wiggins
>      Email Address: barkingwaters at gmail.com
>    About your Scribus program:
>      Version: 1.3.5
>      Prebuilt/Compiled: Prebuilt
>      Build Date:
>    Your operating system and CPU:
>      Type: Windows
>      Version: vista
>      CPU type: 32bit  Intel/AMD (i386)
>    Your request content:
>      Subject: Gimp is missing
>      Message:
> Love the program - am TRYING to use it to make a brochure and am having
> problem with importing an SVG image from Inkscape 0.47.  When I copied the
> image and pasted it and when I imported it (yes I tried ti oth ways) to an
> image box that I created in Scribus, it says Gimp is Missing.  Gimp is not
> missing.
>
> I've read the FAQ, did a web search and tried the solution presented in one
> of the FAQs about going to file > preferences > external tools and gimp is
> listed as the Image Processing Tool.  I even restarted my computer hoping
> something would finally click and all would work well.  It didn't.  Writing
> this e-mail is my last resort.
>
> I know all of you are busy and are probably tired of people like me that
> don't really know more about the Scribus program other than how to enter text
> into the text boxes.  So if any of you can help me figure out what I need to
> do to get them to play nice with each other, would you please list the
> process in very simple, step by step terms (it can't be too dummied down for
> me).  Please don't say - Associate x with z - cause then I'll be wondering
> how associations are done.
>
> So, please help me if you can - if not - have a good holiday season - Donna
>

> The results of this submission may be viewed at:
> http://www.scribus.net/?q=node/158/submission/334

I'm no developer - but as far as I can tell chances are high that your
Inkscape *.svg image cannot be used in Scribus (One big exception is:
your Inkcsape *.svg is very simple like just a simple outline). Nor can
you use GIMP *.xcf in Scribus.

Here is a simple solution for you:
Save your image as a *.png (at a high enough resolution) and place it in
Scribus.
This always works and "only" has the drawback of being bitmap instead of
a vector.

Cheers