[scribus] Flush Right - WordPerfect Style

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 18 02:44:21 CET 2009

On 12/17/09 13:42, Jonathan Kreider wrote:
> It has been a long time, but I remember that feature from WordPerfect.
>> It was handy, but Scribus does not have the same feature. In fact, I
>> don't think any program other than WordPerfect ever had that feature.
>>
>> In Scribus the only option is to set a right tab at the right edge of
>> the frame. If you adjust the width of the frame you will have to adjust
>> the tab position.
>>
>> It should be possible to write a script to automate adjusting the right
>> tab position to the width of the frame. I am not a programmer, so I
>> couldn't help. But maybe someone else can. It would be a handy script
>> to have.

Here are a couple of work-arounds:

1. Use 2 text frames, side-by-side, with the tops of the frames aligned,
and it will help to use align to baseline grid.
The one on the left has a left justification, the one on the right has
right justification.
Make 2 styles, identical except for the justification, then apply the
style to the frame or line by line. Hint: make a clone of the first
style to save time.

2. Use columns. In this instance, your lines of text will be entered
into story editor in a vertical fashion, so it will take some playing
around to get the appropriate lines to jump to the right-hand column.
Again, use styles identical except for justification, switching once you
get to the next column's text.

In some ways, this will seem more laborious than the Wordperfect method,
yet, like many things, the Scribus ways have their own advantages, for
example, having slightly different text styles for the two columns is
easier to change with the Scribus methods.

Greg