[scribus] Large SVG File Crashing Scribus

Chris Tregenza junk-scribus at tregenza.com
Wed Dec 16 11:17:13 CET 2009

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and sorry for not including my
system details.

I'm running the latest stable release (1.3.5.1) on a Mac, OSX 10.5.8
with 2x 2.8ghz xeon with 4gb of RAM.

The SVG file was created in Inkscape on this machine and it performs
well (though not stunningly fast).

@Owen

I want to avoid using a bitmap image. There is a certain loss of quality
between bitmap & vector plus colour management becomes far more of an
issue. This is important as I'm trying to create a PDF for printing not
display.

Thanks for the tip about bugs.scribus.net. I lodge an report and upload
a private copy of the file.

@a.l.e

I like your suggestion. Having SVGs in a frame does seem more logical
than the current method of handling them. Having the option to include a
snapshot image and only displaying the actual SVG on request also makes
sense.

@John

I tried the PDF / EPS export from Inkscape but the results were less
than ideal.

Inkscape is a great package but its PDF / EPS export is not as good as
Scribus and there are obvious differences between the original SVG and
Inkscape's PDF / EPS. I had hoped that by using Inkscape, Scribus and
the SVG format I could get best out of both applications.

Thank you one and all.

Chris