[scribus] Large SVG File Crashing Scribus

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Tue Dec 15 19:10:03 CET 2009

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 13:40:57 +0000
Chris Tregenza <junk-scribus at tregenza.com> dijo:

>I'm using Scibus to put together an A2 poster consisting of a map of the
>world and accompanying info.
>
>The graphics are in SVG form (created by Inkscape) and Scribus is being
>used to add the text and produce the print ready PDF.
>
>However, the SVG file is very large (> 2MB) and complicated (it is a
>detailed map).
>
>This causes Scribus to perform extremely slowly and it normally crashes
>within a couple of minutes of the SVG being imported. Scribus is
>effectively unusable.
>
>I've tried removing as much from the file as possible including
>simplifying the paths. However any further removal will impact on the
>map accuracy.
>
>I'm trying to avoid using PNG or other bitmap images as this impacts on
>print quality.
>
>I have tried encapsulating the map as an PDF or PDS exports from
>Inkscape. This works however Inkscape's exports are not as good as
>Scribus and colour management and the PDF ultimately created by Scribus
>seems lower quality.
>
>I want to use Scribus to create the PDF to take full advantage of its
>press-ready features but I've run into a brick wall.
>
>Can anyone offer any useful advice to work around for this situation
>that allows me to create a top quality, press ready PDF?

First, as others have noted, it would be helpful to know what version of
Scribus you are using and the platform.

If you are using the 1.3.3.x stable version, try installing the development
version. It's not officially recommended for production work, but I have been
using it for some time and it is pretty stable. At least, you have nothing to
lose by giving it a try.

Another options that hasn't been mentioned: Print to PostScript file and
import the PS file into Scribus. From Inkscape ypu can do this from File >
Print or from the File > Save As dialog box. Try them both because I don't know
if Inkscape does different things with its various ways to create PS files. This
may not work any better than the SVG, but it's worth a shot.

Inkscape also offers different versions of SVG, although I assume you've
already tried them. And there are other options to export from Inkscape as well
- EPS, for example, might work better. You could also Save As OpenOffice.org
  Draw format, then open in Draw and resave from there in different formats.

I hope something works for you.