[scribus] Moving to Linux

Tornóci László torlasz at net.sote.hu
Sun Aug 30 08:45:49 CEST 2009

On 08/29/2009 10:39 PM, michael crane wrote:
> I've got centos the yum repositories just have 1.3.3 ( is that right)
> last time I looked.
> It's not the best distribution for the newest stuff.
> I got into dependency hell trying to install inform7gui thingy
> I'm just downloading fc12 ha hahahahah
>
> regards
>

> mick

No wonder, CentOS is meant for servers, not for a desktop. Stability is
far more important than carrying the latest versions. This is from their
website (www.centos.org):

"CentOS is not your everyday Linux. It's a server distribution, meant to
be used in production environment where users do not care about what
applications they have installed. It's a distro that you will most
likely run without any GUI, reboot once every other year or so, if that,
and upgrade only when you really must, since the inclusion of even
simplest binaries could be dreadfully risky for your setup."

There is nothing wrong with CentOS, it is simply not the right
distribution for using Scribus.

					Yours: Laszlo