[scribus] Merge layers capability.

a.l.e ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Thu Aug 27 16:49:20 CEST 2009

hi john
> To be clear I am asking for an internal way to merge layers down in
> such a way that the overall appearance is not affected, as can be
> done in Gimp.  Scribus using pdf 1.3 output will today reduce layers,
> but effects like blends are lost.

there are two functionalities in gimp:

- on exporting to jpg or png you can reduce the image to one layer

- you can manually merge down one (or several?) layers.

the first will not be implemented (always afaik) in scribus in the near
future (but is plannned and difficult).

the second can already be achieved by copy-pasting the items from one
layer to another (and setting the correct blends for the elements pasted).

the .sla won't export better to pdf 1.3, though: the problem is not that
there are layers, but that you have transparencies which have to be
flattened.

so at the end, what you are looking for  (if i understood correctly) is
flattening of transparencies not merging of layers.

have fun
a.l.e