[scribus] Moving to Linux

John Beardmore John at T4sLtd.co.uk
Tue Aug 25 18:23:36 CEST 2009

StevenD wrote:
> D. R. Evans wrote:
>> Steven Dayton said the following at 08/20/2009 01:30 PM :

>> If you have at least a vague idea of what you're trying to do, then the
>> "apropos" command can often help.
>>
> Huh?
>
> Is there some kind of documentation

Yes, though the stuff for the various shells may be a bit of a learning
curve for beginners. Efforts are rewarded however, and you can do a lot
of stuff at the command prompt that simply can't be expressed in a GUI.
(Granted many users may never need to do most of them, but once you know
how to use the command line, it does make you more productive.)

> or how-to for us beginners on how to
> work the Terminal and what these lines of code mean and do?

Even Unix V in 1985 shipped with tutorials in the use of shell (sh the
command line).

I'd be very surprised if such things didn't ship in many distros, and
there is loads on information on the net if you google for it !

Cheers, J/.
Energy Audit, Carbon Management, Design Advice, Sustainable Energy
Consultancy and Installation, Carbon Trust Standard Registered Assessor