[scribus] Is Scribus of No Practical Use to Engineers, Scientists and Mathematicians?

Professor Rodney Coates rcoates at seiche.com
Sun Aug 23 16:06:43 CEST 2009

Dear Owen,

I have been able to download and install Ghostscript, so an initial
Ghostscript error message on starting Scribus now no longer appears. I
do not know if Ghostcript has some part to play in Tex utilisation.

I have downloaded BasicTex for Mac and installed that also. However,
when I click the Tex icon on the menubar, all I get is a message

The item "pdflatex -- interactive nonstopmode failed to start"

This is one of those error messages which really ought to bring scorn
and derision on the programmer who implemented it. There is no point
in providing meaningless error messages when the software is intended
or presumed to have a wide and general use.

Error messages ought to convey some meaningful instruction which can
be acted on to the benefit of the user.

Anyway, now I am back at square one. Clicking Tex - apart from
producing the above error message - generates a text entry frame with
handles on it,  within which is a further message: "render error".
Pretty well useless, again, since it only states the obvious, that the
software is not working, at least insofar as Tex/Latex is concerned.

Maybe you have some thoughts on these matters.

I have now also downloaded MathType and have it working in Page. I can
type in equations - WISYWIG - which is brilliant. I can transfer pict
images of the equations to Ragtime, so can procede there.

In RagTime I can change symbol fonts within a line of text so I can
write things like "..... the symbol used for wavelength is the greek
letter L ...... and L will come out as the proper lambda glyph.
HOEWEVER, Symbol font DOES NOT WORK with this mail application, which
is why L is L and NOT lambda. It does not work in Page, It does not
work in TextEdit and it does not - of course - work in Scribus.

Symbol font does work in both Illustrator and Photoshop.

I also now notice that in Illustrator (but not in any of the other non-
Adobe applications, TWO Symbol fonts are present, one followed by a TT
(TrueType symbol and the other by a red lowercase cursive "a"
presumably an "Adobe" symbol. Much the same in Photoshop.

For completeness, I have also just activated Word for Mac and that
works fine, but with only a single Symbol font in the long fonts list.

Perhaps we might short-circuit things if I ask the following question.
Even if I could get LaTex working, presumably I will never be able to
insert a Greek character in a string of ordinary text? That is, within
a sentence.

I can't believe I am writing this. There are GREEKS out there, for
goodness sake. What do you expect them to do? They write this stuff
all the time.

However, since I presume that I cannot, I can never EXPLAIN my
equations, or define terms .... so maybe (back to my original e-mail)
the advice has to be, bin Scribus before any more time and effort is
wasted on it. Great pity!

I would really value you views on these points,

Rodney

On 23 Aug 2009, at 11:34, Owen wrote:

>> The Symbol font will not display; Zapf Dingbats will not display;
>> Render Frame will not work (). Latex/Tex is not working/
>> available ....
>>
>> I am a technical author. I need to set Greek symbols within lines of
>> ordinary text. I need to set mathematical formulae.
>

> If latex/TeX is not available, why?
>
> Do you have latex etc installed
>
> can you produce documents in Latex?
>
> If you have latex, I suggest you use that for the time being. it also
> has the advantage of making footnotes and reference list.
>
> Do your fonts display in Open office or whatever document editor you
> are using?
>

> --
>

> Owen

Professor Rodney Coates, Ph.D., FIEEE