[scribus] Kerning redux

avox avox at arcor.de
Thu Aug 20 11:36:00 CEST 2009

John Jason Jordan-2 wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Aug 2009 19:15:54 -0500
> "William F. Maddock" <billsey at earthlink.net> dijo:
>

>> > If no character is selected it still kerns nothing. Henry Peters
>> > reports the same thing, but he and I are both using Ubuntu 9.0.4, so
>> > maybe that is why we are getting different results.
>
>> Not using diacriticals, but I just tested it out on Ubuntu 9.04 with
>> scribus 1.3.5 and I only had to place the cursor between the two
>> characters to be kerned (page layout mode, I guess you'd call it; just
>> not using the story editor), and was then able to adjust the kerning of
>> the two characters surrounding the cursor. I also noted that, at least
>> for Aldine 721, the auto-kerning worked just fine.
>
> Ah. An additional insight. I was using Story Editor, not editing
> directly in the text frame. I rarely edit in the text frame because it
> is too slow and I can't figure out how to apply all the features that I
> can in Story Editor. It was in Story Editor that I was unable to apply
> kerning without selecting character(s).

That makes sense.

Btw, when entered in the Story Editor, diacriticals are replaced by their
composed character before Scribus sees them, so it's not possible to kern a
diacritical relativ to its base character.

I don't know how your system behaves when editing directly on the canvas,
but a common complaint is that Scribus does *not* apply diacritics.

/Andreas
sees them, so it's not possible to