[scribus] font usage

John Beardmore John at T4sLtd.co.uk
Sun Aug 16 12:38:20 CEST 2009

Owen wrote:

>> Given that we've not had any complaints about typography since 1987,
>> we'll just carry on as we are I guess !
>
> What were the  complaints in 1987?

In those days we were doing an alternative technology news letter in the
voluntary sector with pagemaker.

One of our older readers didn't like us standardising on 10 point fonts
because he struggled to read them, and doing one section in 9 point
pretty much finished him off.

We now standardise on Arial 12 point for most of our work, which I've
always taken to relatively ugly and a bit basis but very readable. If
there's anything that's more readable though, (ideally evidence based),
I'd be very happy to look at it.

> Perhaps font beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I suspect so, but I'm more interested in the ergonomics of reading the
document than beauty per se.

> Sometimes I see a
> magazine and say, "Wow", what did they do that in?
>
> Then there is the screen/paper problem as well as your target
> audience,

Yes -  we do need something that works well with both.

  there aint no one golden rule.

:)

Cheers, J/.
Energy Audit, Carbon Management, Design Advice, Sustainable Energy
Consultancy and Installation, Carbon Trust Standard Registered Assessor