[scribus] PDF X/1a:2001 again.

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Sun Aug 16 03:49:25 CEST 2009

On Saturday 15 August 2009 04:33:43 pm Craig wrote:
> John Culleton wrote:
> > My old nemesis LSI is still insisting on the above PDF format;
> > otherwise they will run the cover file through a process that
> > rasterizes the file.  When it comes to access to Amazon it is
> > their bat and their ball and you have to play the game their
> > way.
> >
> > I remember that some time back this standard was in the summer
> > of code or something like that.  It is not in 1.3.5.1 however.
> >
> > If there was another way to get economical access to Amazon I
> > would surely use it, but there isn't AFAICT.
>
> Erm.. what about our CreateSpace Self-Publishing service?
> http://www.createspace.com/
>
> Craig

Worth considering but there are two problems. First the quality of
printing and binding with Booksurge/CreateSpace has been often
criticized over the years. Second those who print with LSI and seek
Amazon sales can offer discounts to Amazon of as little as 20%.
Using CreateSpace one must offer 40% or twice as much.  And that
gets you on Amazon but nowhere else.

I wouldn't say never, but I am looking for ways to get excellent
quality combined with a low discount from list.  LSI can offer that
combination, but at a cost of considerable hassle on the cover
creation side.  It seems that LSI comes up with a new requirement
every month or two, from X/1a:2001 to 240% max ink coverage (hard
to control in photos) to you must use their template or get
rasterized to tagging of YA books to---well you get the picture.

I am considering FBA (fulfillment by Amazon) but don't know enough
about it yet.  Can you explain it to me?

I am of course open to persuasion about Createspace , but since this
is a vendor/potential customer conversation it might be better if
you offered counter arguments off list.

Or not.

--
John Culleton
Create Book Covers with Scribus/e-book $5.95